Your industrial garage door is a helpful asset to the inner workings of your business. Commercial doors provide increased usability, security, and functionality. Unfortunately, a commercial door can also pose a safety risk to you and your employees. Be sure to follow these safety tips so you can enjoy the many benefits your industrial doors have to offer.
Industrial garage doors can be extremely dangerous if they are not properly used and maintained. Given their large size, increased speed, and powerful mechanisms, commercial doors can cause serious injury and even death. That being said, proper usage and maintenance of industrial garage doors can keep you and your employees safe. Make sure all of your employees understand the dangers inherent in the improper use of an industrial door. Examples of improper use include operating the door
- While under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Without proper training
- Without proper lighting
- Without proper supervision
- Without following safety protocol
- Without your complete attention
Any of these scenarios will put your employees, your building, and your property at risk.
There are two main types of industrial garage door injuries. While it is impossible to completely remove the potential for accidents, you can greatly reduce your risk of injury by being aware of your surroundings and following proper safety protocol.
Entrapment occurs when an industrial garage door closes on top of a person or persons. This happens as a result not of mechanical error but of operator error. There are several ways to avoid entrapment injuries:
- Do not stand or walk under an industrial garage door while it is in motion.
- Always raise industrial garage doors to the fully-open position.
- Always keep the industrial garage door in your line of vision while operating.
- Keep all industrial garage doors free from obstructions while operating.
Impact occurs in the rare event that an industrial door malfunctions and falls shut. This typically happens because a door has not been properly maintained. There are several ways to avoid impact-related injuries:
- Whenever possible, avoid using an industrial garage door as an entrance or exit; use “personnel doors” to enter and exit the building.
- Have regularly scheduled maintenance performed on your industrial garage door.
- Allow only trained professionals to install or repair your industrial garage door.
- Always be alert when an industrial garage door is in the “open” position.
Make sure that all employees who will be operating your industrial garage door understand the risks involved with it. Go over emergency procedures, and remind employees where your first aid kit is located. Schedule regular maintenance for your industrial garage door to be sure it’s working properly. A professional garage door technician will be able to identify potential safety hazards and address them before an emergency occurs.
If you need the installation or repair of an industrial overhead door, trust WD Door. For more than 25 years WD Door has been a leading expert in residential and commercial garage doors across the state of Iowa. Contact us for a free quote!